There is one thing everyone will be doing this Christmas and it’s drinking, so we asked a good friend of ours to create a tea cocktail for us, and he created this Spiked Chai.
Fred crossed paths with Dan when they were both working at Origin Coffee Roasters and we have had the chance to chat to him while in lockdown about all the things we were planning for this blog and he was supportive and helpful throughout.
If you have never been on his personal Instagram feed, you are most definitely missing out. Dan has been smashing in the cocktail category all the way through lockdowns 1 & 2 and he’s kindly sent us one of his recipes for you all to try.
But let’s start from the beginning, here: the three of us are not major drinkers UNTIL you put a cocktail under our nose. It’s impossible for us to say no to a cocktail, and there are far too many times where we got pissed on drinking cocktails only.
Maybe the sugary addition to some of our favourites, maybe the fanciness of the glasses, we have always enjoyed a good Espresso Martini without an inch of doubt. But enough of this.
Spiked Chai of dreams, get the glasses ready.
- 500ml Dark Rum
- 225ml Chai Syrup (1:1 Chai Tea to Light Muscovado Sugar)
- 225ml Lime Juice
- 225ml Whole Milk
- Add your Rum, Chai syrup and lime juice into a container and stir to combine.
- Stir the mix into the milk, and let the mix rest for a few minutes, until it starts to separate.
- Filter the mix through a coffee filter, but do not remove the curds, as they help with clarification. When you notice the rate of liquid slowing down, transfer the curd-filled coffee filter over to a clean container. Add the contents from the first pass back to the top of the filter and top it up until it's completely passed through (this can take quite a long time).
- Serve your clear cocktail over a single large ice cube and garnish with a whole star anise.
I found the process of clarifying the cocktail quite interesting, and surprised at how the milk just disappears through the sieving. Could be easily a science experiment with the kids this Christmas Day – and a treat for mum and dad at the end too!
You’ll find a few more recipes for drinks here – Fred has been having the time of her life mixing and stirring stuff so stay tuned for more too.